Friday, February 29, 2008

A Blatant Attempt to Boost My Hit Counter



What you see above is 'phasing'. I'm still unsure what this means but I think I can hear it happening when it does.

British band Nirvana (You can see it fitting into place now eh?) were the first to use this all the way through a track. Apparently The Beatles with 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' and The Small Faces with 'Itchycoo Park' used the technique sporadically.

I recently dug out an old Island Records sampler album called 'You Can All Join In' made in 1969. It featured most, if not all, of the artists on the Island roster that year; including Stevie Winwood with Traffic, Spooky Tooth, Fairport Convention and Jethro Tull. In addition were the aforementioned Nirvana with 'Rainbow Chaser' - a track that was my favourite on the album. They were formed in the summer of 1967 (probably in a purple haze) and made the kind of  progressive, flowery music you would expect from a band that names their single 'Rainbow Chaser'. Their album 'The Story of Simon Simopath' has been described as the first narrative based concept album released.

So all you Nirvana (some US based alternative) fans coming here to find some obscure rarity may be disappointed. But download it anyway and expand your horizons.

Nirvana - Rainbow Chaser (mp3) Buy

6 comments:

Mick said...

Having older brothers in the 60s I grew up with Nirvana and those Island compilations (remember Nice Enough To Eat?). I can even tell you which two they are on that album sleeve. Great stuff! So much better than those grungy boys (that should get me some hate mail).

FiL said...

You're a crafty one, Dearest Vicar! More tea??

davyh said...

Has it worked? Have you seen a 'surge'?

Salopian said...

Thanks for the comments folks - yes there was a surge. Not a dramatic surge like the Severn through Tewkesbury but a more civilised rush like Crash and the Vicar departing for the pub on a Friday afternoon.

iguanapunk said...

I know this! It was sampled on FSUK*3 which is an amazing compilation.

davyh said...

I'll tell you how else you can 'boost your hit counter' matey - post some stuff!

(Hope you're OK?)