What makes a good cover version? Ask twenty people this question and you'll get a variety of replies - but there must be some kind of science to it. So what type of covers can you get? -
1. Well established (successful?) band/artist covering a big band/artist song
2. New band covering old (successful) song
3. Old band covering unsuccessful song
Have you fallen asleep yet?
4. New band covering less well known song by established artist (maybe a 'b' side)
5. Same working of song
6. Radical reworking of song
Well you get the general idea. It could go on forever almost. But I won't. Not today at least. But we seem to inherently know when a cover is a good attempt or a bad one. And it could be any one of the permutations above. Anyway here are a couple more for you to peruse over. Make your own mind up.........
Cowboy Junkies - If You Gotta Go, Go Now (mp3)
Marc Carroll - Gates of Eden (mp3)
Buy Cowboy Junkies. Buy Marc Carroll.