Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Shelter in a Storm


Way too much electric stuff over the last few posts, so time to chill out and warm to some rather more mellow sounds. It's Acoustic week at 'The World Wont Listen'.

Joan Armatrading is one of those singers whom I always come back to. In the early years, before she picked up the electric guitar, her music was romantic, enticing and pure emotion. Some of the songs are some of the very best songwriting I have ever heard.

As Crash from the Pretending Life is Like A Song pointed out to me, she was more than a little tarnished by the opposition to 'Red Wedge' and her support of the Thatcher government. But despite this, her undoubted ability seems to make her bad choice of politics bearable. I will keep on listening to those first three albums.

Joan Armatrading - Love and Affection (mp3)

Joan Armatrading - Willow (mp3)

Buy Joan here

2 comments:

adam said...

The world will note that you've been struck down with some dreaded lurgi the morning after posting this.

That is obviously unfair, for all of her infantile rightest posturing I do rather love those early albums.

Unknown said...

Brave posting. Not many would admit to this for fear of having the piss ripped out of them.

I know...for I am the man who will defend Communication by Spandau Ballet.

Get well soon you shirker.