Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Theres a Random Painted Highway


I dont really know what is my favourite album of the 2000's but 'A Ghost is Born' would be up there in the top ten. I am rapidly beginning to think that Jeff Tweedy is a songwriting god. I am so looking forward to the release of 'Sky blue sky'. Everything Wilco seeemed to have done in the last ten years seems to have turned to gold. The collaborations with Billy Bragg, 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot', 'A Ghost is Born' - all are superb. With many of the tracks of the new album now floating around in hyperspace, I've been deliberately trying to avoid downloading any of them in order to listen to the album in one go - 'freshlike'. Lets hope I'm not disappointed.

Wilco - Muzzle of Bees (mp3) Buy

A bit of a cheat I know as its not all acoustic but I do as I please.

In February this year The Pentangle got together and performed for the first time in over 20 years at the Radio 2 folk awards. Formed in 1967 at the height of the British folk revival they were like a folk supergroup featuring the combined guitar talents of Bert Jansch and John Renbourn. The band was also graced by the sweet vocals of Jacqui McShee, and the Jazz influence of Danny Thompson and Terry Cox. The 'Basket of Light' album of 1969 was a favourite of my folky sister and I remember (sort of) liking the album in spite of my disdain of most things she liked during the late 70's punk/new wave era. By the time I returned to the album about 10 years later I was won over by the accomplished playing of all the musicians. This track is actually a cover version of a Phil Spector track from the early 60's and features on the aforesaid 'Basket of Light'.

The Pentangle - Sally Go Round The Roses (mp3) Buy

1 comment:

davyh said...

Crikey, Pentangle are AWESOME aren't they? Glad you're better - and back postin' with a vengeance.