Thursday, February 28, 2008

Richard Anthony Hewson


I have a really awful memory. Ask me to remember the names of students in my year group in sixth form and I would struggle. In fact, if it wasn't for the occasional glance at Friends Reunited about 10-15 would be my limit.

My sixth form years in general are a bit hazy. I remember some of my teachers but none of the content of their lessons. In fact my main recollection is of the sixth form block itself with the Space Invaders machine, two table football machines and the pool table. We used to arrange competitions on all of them and being a lazy sod I would spend the majority of the time inbetween lessons (and sometimes during them) on any one of these distractions. There were also cushion fights and card marathons a plenty.

But the prize of the sixth form block was the hifi system. Students would try to dominate it with their chosen tunes and sometimes the Hendrix set would win, sometimes the punks, and at other times the Motorhead/Rainbow/ACDC crowd. For a short while someone (I forget who) used to put on the twelve inch version of Slide by the Rah Band. I quite liked it I remember and so muggins here bought it.

Now I'd completely forgotten about this until recently they were mentioned by Mick (of Raiding the Vinyl Archive fame) in the comments section of the rather spiffing Ghost of Electricity. Well to cut a long story short I dug it out and did a vinyl rip. And here I present it to you ................ and it is very, very, very dodgy. In fact I still can't work out what I saw in it at the time? This was a young man into all sorts of worthy music and I liked this pop/disco nonsense? I seriously am beginning to think I was abucted by aliens for a couple of years between 1981 and 1983. There is simply no other explanation. Tcch.

The Rah Band - Slide (mp3)

Visit them on their page at MySpace

3 comments:

Mick said...

Well, in my defence Davy really brought them up first by including this link in the previous comment. I do, however, plead guilty to owning Rah Band's 'Falcon'. Those of you with a long memory will remember the BBC used this as background music while informing us 'Dallas' would be on at 8 o'clock.

Salopian said...

Mick - Im afraid we all have our cross to bear. I dont remember the 'Dallas' stuff at all. Shame that, but not entirely surprising with my track record. Davy has a lot to answer for I feel. Making us dredge up these dark pasts!

davyh said...

Come on boys, 'Clouds Across The Moon' is obviously a corker, mostly because It Does Not Take Itself At All Seriously, which I fear 'Slide' just might.

Hey though! I'm the only one of us who doesn't actually own a Rah Band record!

Yours spiffingly,