Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Week In Music

Tuesday

The derivation of Tuesday comes from an old English word 'Twisday' which is in itself derived from the Norse God Tyr. This God was the equivalent of the Roman God Mars and, of course, Mars forms the root of Tuesday for all the Latin based languages except Portuguese.

Perhaps this is entirely apt as Tuesday has traditionally been a day of war in my job. Not because of the fact that most of the working week is still to go, but more because I teach some particularly irksome kids!

Some more Tuesday inspired songs then:

Rolling Stones - Ruby Tuesday (mp3)

Dick Gaughan - Ruby Tuesday (mp3)

Elliott Smith - Hooray for Tuesday (live) (mp3)

Primal Scream - Gentle Tuesday (mp3)

Buy The Stones here, Dick Gaughan here, Elliott Smith here, and Primal Scream here.

Much obliged to Absonderpop for the Dick Gaughan and The Rawking Refuses To Stop! for the Elliott Smith

5 comments:

Mick said...

Great idea for a series of posts. Wish I'd thought of it. I'm looking forward to Thursday because I can't think of any Thursday songs off the top of my head.

dickvandyke said...

I'm with Mick!

A great favourite 'Twisday' song of mine is 'Tuesday Morning' by The Pogues. Dig it out...

Lying with a woman on a Tuesday morning - when you should be, er, elsewhere - is a tremendous thought. (Never done it meself like!)

davyh said...

'310 Smokey Thursday' - Danny O'Keefe (on 'Meridian 1970' compiled by Jon Savage)x

Salopian said...

Thursday will be difficult - there's no question. Ive never heard of 310 Smokey Thursday. Research is needed methinks.

The Pogues are sadly lacking from my collection - this will have to be addressed. thanks for the recommendation.

Eleanor said...

I have another for you - Tuesday's Dead by Cat Stevens! YouTube it, it's probably my favourite of his songs...