Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Week In Music

Wednesday

Although in English Wednesday is derived from the Norse God Woden, in the Latin languages the Roman God Mercury is responsible. In German Mittwoch literally means midweek which is perhaps the most apt and contemporary description.

Wednesday is perhaps my least favourite day of the week. You're already knackered but still have two days to go at work. This is, or course, the Monday to Friday contingent. In our service based economy the notion of a family based weekend seems to be diminishing by the day. Saturday and Sunday working is now the norm for many.

In popular culture Wednesday means the start of two days of relative musical paucity. But I will do my best:

Spoon - Sunday Morning, Wednesday Night (mp3)

The Undertones - Wednesday Week (mp3)

The Beatles - She's Leaving Home (mp3) [listen and you'll know]

Buy Spoon here, The Undertones here, and The Beatles right here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no "Wednesday Week" by Elvis Costello???

dickvandyke said...

Beatles ... very sharp Tutu old lad.

"Seven Drunken Nights" by The Dubliners will cover any daily gaps by the way!

ally. said...

or 'my favourite wet wednesday afternoon' by the siddeleys.

Salopian said...

Elvis Costello is a serious omission. My humblest apologies.

The Dubliners is a good call but I have one as good I think.

Ally - The Siddeleys I don't know. Any pointers you can offer?

ally. said...

there's a bunch of their stuff round my gaff - you could've even won a flexi.
x