Monday, February 26, 2007

God, that's so gay!

"Give me a sweet"
"no"
"why not? You gay!"

"I'm not coming out tonight"
"that's gay that is"

"Let me have a go on your Nintendo DS"
"not now"
"oh don't be gay!"

I hear this crap at school on a daily basis, and its time to speak up. The kids (not all of them of course - no tar brushing here) repeat this kind of thing without ever thinking about what they're saying (at least I like to think they are, but perhaps I'm just being naive and they are not simply embarressed but deeply engrained homophobes). Of course, they will be the first to cry 'rascist' or 'sexist', and will go around with all the appearance of demanding respect, but the gay world is not even close to being allocated an equal respect. For heavens sake, a number of my students even expressed an inability to watch 'Brokeback Mountain' because they were apparently afraid it would change their sexuality. The slightest hint of any kind of male (or female) contact on celluloid has them in paroxysm's of concern. And it has definitely got worse over the last few years. I know I'm not being paranoid here. Anyhow, rant over, this one is for you if you think these kids are right.

Senseless Things - Homophobic Asshole (mp3)

Get the Senseless Things here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I take my hats off to all of you who teach....and there's a lot of great bloggers out there in that profession whether its school/college/university.

Just how do you face up to what you've just described and how do you rationally explain, with patience, that its plain wrong??

Homphobia - the worst disease.....

ally. said...

this is one of the reasons i get upset that pride marches have become parades - like there's nothing left to fight for....sorry i'll get all annoyed if i carry on.
i just want to get back to stomping through town singing 'we're here, we're queer, we're not going shopping!'.
funnily enough the modern depiction of lesbians has led to blokes constantly shouting 'can i join in' at us. i blame all those lads mag fantasists, and every pretend lezzer adding ' and my boyfriends great about it..'
bugger.
sorry to go on sweetie x