Thursday, February 01, 2007

X-Rated

After sneaking in at the last minute on contrast podcast this week (thankyou Tim) I thought I should explore the theme of explicitness in music and film just a little bit more. My contribution was from the Super Furry Animals with 'The Man Don't Give A Fuck' - I thought I was being quite outrageous at the time, but after I listened to this weeks entries I quickly realised the SFA were in fact quite tame. However, undeterred I thought I'd give you my runners up. Firstly we have The Police with 'Be My Girl - Sally', a track from the Outlandos D'Amour album that I remember thinking was incredibly risque in 1978. Why Andy Summers was writing about blow-up dolls is intriguing. And secondly a track from the criminally under-rated The The with 'Out of the Blue (Into The Fire)'. Any song that has a lyric "She was lying on her back with her lips parted, squealing like a stuffed pig" has got to be up for the possibilities of censorship.

Putting my sensible hat on just for a second, the notion of censorship in film (or music for that matter) is always a topic that stirs emotions in my students. You can circle the issue forever and come up with reasonable arguments on both sides for either reducing or increasing censorship, but nobody ever seems to be influenced enough to change their minds. Its a debate that will run and run.

The Police - Be My Girl - Sally (mp3)

The The - Out of the Blue (Into the Fire) (mp3)


But The Police here and The The here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw The Police in 1978. At that point in time, 'Be My Girl-Sally' was an integral part of the set.

Andy Summers dragged a rubber doll onto the stage and serenaded 'her' as he did his bit of the song....

Very bizarre.

Great The The Track you've posted (but then again, they all are..)

Salopian said...

Thankyou for your comments jc, I agree that there is rarely a bad The The track. I remember passing up the opportunity to see The Police in 1978 at Hatfield Poly - a rather silly mistake in retrospect