Sunday, January 28, 2007

Love equals happiness

Last post for happy week before its time to move on, and two more entries to cheer you up. Firstly a little bit of Motown via Marvin Gaye and secondly Rickie Lee Jones. The link is of course love and I cant really ignore the fact that most love songs are by their very nature also happy songs. Gaye released 'How sweet it is' in 1964 despite his early determination to avoid R & B and concentrate on the 'Sinatra' style. I cant say I've ever been a great fan of either Marvin Gaye or Motown in general but I enjoy the classics and this song is lovely.

Rickie Lee Jones hit big in 1979 when this single was released and the self titled album was a joy to listen to. (For years this song was my test track whenever I bought a new piece of hi-fi). Previously she had only been famous for being on the cover of the 'Foreign Affairs' album by Tom Waits whom she was dating at the time. Although her output was patchy afterwards I always admired the fact that both musically and politically she was always leftfield.

Marvin Gaye - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) (mp3)

Rickie Lee Jones - Chuck E.'s In Love (mp3)

Buy Marvin Gaye and Rickie Lee Jones please

No comments: