Sunday, January 21, 2007

I choose my final scene today

The final day of my miserable week and the last two choices to muse over. It has been an enjoyable but exhausting process and is going to have to have some sort of antidote. Thus, you've guessed it - next week is happy week with songs to make you feel that the day is glorious and the world is your playground. But first we have to end the misery on a high. So without further ado I present Elbow with 'Switching Off'. I have seen this band three times now with very mixed results - the first two times they were great but the last time (in Birmingham) they were a complete shambles. Nevermind, a temporary dip in quality I hope. The second offering comes from Sweeney's Men with 'Dreams For Me'. A masterful song from the masters of Irish protest misery, and Terry Woods trying his level best to make me feel downbeat and woeful (a tactic that has often worked in the past I am ashamed to admit). But enough of this - listen to the tracks, rush off to the shops to buy the albums, listen and weep if you have to - but be prepared for joy and happiness on 'blue monday'.

1. Elbow - Switching Off (mp3)

2. Sweeney's Men - Dreams For Me (mp3)

Please buy Elbow here
Please buy Sweeney's Men here

No comments: