Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Old but distinguished

Two rather old school favourites for today in the track number 6 stakes, but brilliant nonetheless.

1. Fairport Convention - I'll Keep It With Mine (mp3)

I remember the first time I listened to this was at my sisters in Norfolk back in the early eighties. The album this comes from is 'What We Did On Our Holidays' in 1969. The guitar playing of Richard Thompson and voice of Sandy Denny combined to superb effect in this beautiful and haunting song.

2. John Martyn - Dreams By The Sea (mp3)

People are usually very nostalgic about programmes they watched when they grew up. In the true spirit of companionship, I in turn was very nostalgic about 'The Old Grey Whistle Test' remembering the fantastic songs played live in the BBC studio with Bob Harris to guide us. Then over the Xmas period BBC4 was kind enough to air the 'Best of.... Whistle Test' for the early 70's, selected by Bob himself. Great I thought as I eagerly sat down to watch my recorded episodes, but what a load of bollocks! If this was the best then the rest must have been awful. With one exception ........ John Martyn playing this song fantastically. A mate of mine went to see him in the 80's and he was totally pissed (fell off the stage I recall) - I think you had to catch him on a good day. One drink inflicted leg amputation later I must see him before the guitar gets hung up forever.

No comments: