Thursday, January 04, 2007

Songs and Images of a Lifetime - 1967

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl (mp3)

Quite a tough choice with a wealth of great tracks this year (Aretha Franklin and Respect in particular). But overall he just shades it with this fantastic record by one of the greats. This is one of those tracks where I wonder whether to listen to, but when I do I'm always amazed by its utter brilliance.


'Cool Hand Luke' - director: Stuart Rosenberg

With Bonnie and Clyde also in the frame, this may seem like a strange choice, but I've always loved Newman as an actor and this film seems to sum up what he was about. I love the loner, anti-hero figure in most cinema and here Newman plays it to a tee. He makes an excellent job of portraying Luke descending from a good guy eager to please, to a world-weary bad guy fed up and demoralised. The tagline 'What we have here is a failure to communicate' is probably the first one I ever remembered. The egg eating scene is legendary and the support given by George Kennedy as 'Dragline' is superb throughout.

Buy your Van Morrison right here

No comments: