Friday, February 09, 2007

I thought I saw Lauren Bacall

The last post for my driving theme and my last post for the next week because Mrs Vicar, the kids and I are off to Dorset for some r & r.

For tracks numbers 9 and 10 we're back to the early eighties with a couple of fine contributions by The Clash and Talking Heads. The 'Combat Rock' album saw The Clash in a state of near collapse. Mick Jones was clearly unhappy with how the band direction was going and Topper Headon had his well publiced drug addiction to deal with. The album continued the themes displayed on 'Sandanista' and although many perceive it to be a watered down, commercial effort they were still a cut above most of their contemporaries. Meanwhile, the 'Speaking in Tongues' album by Talking Heads is a classic through and through. The album saw Bryne, Harrison, Weymouth and Frantz at the top of their form. Great for parties, 'slippery people' makes any car mix stand out.

1. The Clash - Car Jamming (mp3)

2. Talking Heads - Slippery People (mp3)

Get your Clash stuff here and Talking Heads stuff here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and by the time you return, I'll have slipped you a copy of 'Drivin On 9' by The Breeders.

An essential additional track for your fine compliation

FiL said...

Dear Vicar, perhaps I'm slow on the uptake, but I've only hust noticed that I'm on your blogroll. Or maybe you just added me. Regardless of which it is, many thanks!!

Ever since Oh Simone put it on that road trip episode of Contrast Podcast, Fu Manchu's 'King of the Road' has been firmly embedded on my drivetime playlist...