Thursday, February 08, 2007

Rock and Roll

The creation of musical DNA is a thing of mystery. With some folks the DNA remains focused on a particular strand. Meaning that there are those who appear to like only one or two genres - r & b and rap for instance. On the other hand, there are others who have a right old mixture of tastes floating about their soul. I would, of course, count myself in this bracket.

When my own DNA was formed, a small part of it contained hard driving, old fashioned rock and roll. It doesn't surface that often, but I do occasionally have a penchant for the likes of Led Zeppelin or Nirvana. The Foo Fighters and Bruce Springsteen are two other favourites and therefore my focus for todays entry. They also work very well on the car stereo.

1. Foo Fighters - All My Life (mp3)

I can visualise myself in a 'Wayne's World - esque' moment with this one. I know very sad.

2. Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road (mp3)

Written because of the Robert Mitchum film of the same name, I can't honestly say that this is one my favourite Springsteen songs, but it is a fine record. Nick Hornby wrote in '31 songs' that he loves the 'elegiac' nature of the lyrics, despite the energy and references to roaring engines and burned out Chevrolets. I agree with this sentiment completely.

Buy Foo Fighters stuff and Springsteen stuff

No comments: